Impact of a virtual educational intervention on knowledge and awareness of biomedical waste management among Peruvian dental professionals

César Cayo-Rojas, Gissela Briceño-Vergel, Nancy Córdova-Limaylla, José Huamani-Echaccaya, Manuel Castro-Mena, Paolo Lurita-Córdova, Judit Bermúdez-Mendoza, Clifford Allen-Revoredo, Jorge Torres-Vásquez, Marysela Ladera-Castañeda

Producción científica: Contribución a una revistaArtículorevisión exhaustiva

Resumen

Waste from healthcare is a significant global issue, with around 85% of it being common waste and the remaining 15% being hazardous waste that is infectious and toxic. Dentistry uses various materials that create a substantial amount of biomedical waste capable of impacting the environment. Therefore, the purpose of this study was to assess the effects of a virtual educational program on the knowledge and awareness of dental material recycling and reuse, as well as biomedical waste management, among dental professionals in Peru. The current study was a longitudinal and quasi-experimental evaluation of 165 dentists from Peru. A validated questionnaire consisting of 30 items was administered at three different intervals (pre-test, immediate post-test, and 14-day post-test). Statistical analysis was conducted using the Mann Whitney U and Kruskal Wallis H tests to compare scores between categories of each sociodemographic variable, and the Cochrane’s Q and Friedman test was used for related measures comparison. A significance level of p < 0.05 was considered. When comparing the percentage of correct responses regarding recycling and reuse of dental materials and biomedical waste management between the pre-test and the immediate post-test, a significant improvement in knowledge was observed for most of the questionnaire items (p < 0.05). At 14 days after the test, those who studied at a private university, unmarried, bachelors, non-specialists, non-teachers and have less than 10 years of professional experience did not did not retain knowledge on biomedical waste management (p < 0.05) or recycling and reusing dental materials (p < 0.05) to a significant extent. There was a significant enhancement in dentists' knowledge and awareness of managing biomedical waste, recycling, and reusing dental materials following the educational intervention. This improvement was observed across all sociodemographic variables considered in the study. However, this knowledge was not retained beyond two weeks for those who studied at a private university, unmarried, bachelor, with no specialty, non-teachers and with less than 10 years of professional experience. Government authorities should encourage oral health professionals to conduct research with educational interventions focused on improving and evaluating the sustainability and environmental impact of dental practices. This will enable professionals to better understand, control and evaluate the consequences of their practical work.

Idioma originalInglés
Número de artículo22346
PublicaciónScientific Reports
Volumen13
N.º1
DOI
EstadoPublicada - dic. 2023
Publicado de forma externa

Huella

Profundice en los temas de investigación de 'Impact of a virtual educational intervention on knowledge and awareness of biomedical waste management among Peruvian dental professionals'. En conjunto forman una huella única.

Citar esto